Well the holiday hump is over and now we head on into a new year! So it is that time again to make the annual statement of change for our lives…the New Year’s Resolution. When mulling over the same things you promise yourself every year why not think about making your resolution a little greener? For some inspiration Urban ECO Nest has given some of the most common New Year’s resolutions a greener twist:
Top 4 Greener Resolutions
1. To Lose Weight: This is probably the number one resolution that is made every year. Well, a great way to become healthier and lose some weight along the way is to eat more locally grown produce! By eating more locally grown foods not only will you feel healthier, but you will be supporting your local economy and reducing your carbon footprint! Check out Local Harvest, a comprehensive list of farmer’s markets, to find a market near you! Another important aspect in a healthy lifestyle is exercise! Engage in the beautiful environment around you by taking a hike, playing frisbee, or engaging in some yoga to center your body and mind!
2. To read more books:There is nothing like digging into new read to start the year off right! Nothing is more inspiring to me than a good Eco Read. Check out these great green minded books for inspiration and great new knowledge to share! Also, purchasing books can be very expensive and not to mention the fact that they use a lot of paper. So this year make a resolution to use your local Library! The books are free, they usually have movies to rent, and you will get to be engaged with a vital aspect of your community.
3. Volunteer More: We all are guilty of saying that if we only had more time we would volunteer. Well, making green choices is just one step in the path to creating a sustainable planet, to be truly sustainable we must create a community. Many great non profits out there can not survive without the help of volunteers. So this year get involved in your community and vow to make some time for an organization you believe in. They say volunteering leads to a happier mood and a greater sense of purpose which in turn can lead to a longer life! Check out Volunteer Match to find the perfect volunteer opportunity for you!
4. Get Organized: It is time to clear off that clutter that has accumulated over the year and learn how to reduce and reuse the stuff we have! Too often when we take on a organizing project we buy more stuff to help us get organized which leads to more waste and more money spent. To learn how to organize your life and to find creative ways to use what was deemed as” old junk” to your organizational benefit check out Real Simple. These folks are the experts of the organizing world and have some great ideas for organizing everything you could imagine!
So get out there and make your world a greener place! Happy New Year!
You picked out your perfect green minded holiday gift, and brought it home from the store in your eco-chic reusable bag and now it’s ready to be wrapped up in…what? Anybody who has been in charge of picking up the gift wrap after the nieces and nephews have shredded their gifts open knows that gift wrap can create a whole mess of waste! Well when wrapping up your gifts this year think about going green! Your gifts will look fabulous, and by reusing you will save some wallet green too!
Reusable Gift Bags
The gift wrapping that keeps on giving! There are some great companies out there that create fabulous reusable gift bags for all occasions. When you give one to someone as their gift wrap they can then pass it on to their next gift receiver! These are perfect for families for the holidays because you can keep them for every year saving bukoos in cash and in trash!
Check out these fun bags by Lucky Crow.
Paper Bag= Wrapping Paper
The tried and true paper bag has so many uses, including wrapping papper! Create personalized gift wrapping by using crayons, markers, stencils, stamps, and some fun reusable ribbon! This is super fun for kids, as well as adults:), to get to help decorate the wrapping too!
How to create paper bag wrapping paper.
Recycled Wrapping Paper
Recycled wrapping paper is not just rustic scenes and animal prints any more! Step up to chic, beautiful, and fun recycled wrapping! The gift wrap designs from Fish Lips Paper Designs are made from 100% recycled paper and are printed with soy based inks! Green gift wrap just went glam!
When transitioning to the “Greener” side of the fence, the bathroom is an important step towards small scale sustainability. Here are a few ways to green up your bathroom and your health on the personal care product side:
Many personal care products out there contain some nasty chemicals, even some that claim to be natural! These chemicals can soak into the skin, the body’s largest organ, and then when we shower or wash they go down the drain into our public water supply. Hmmm…something about this does not seem good to me. The scary thing is we do not know the effects of these chemicals on the body yet. Anytime you look at the ingredient list on a personal care product and you can not pronounce half the words this is probably a product to avoid. Your body, health, and not to mention the planet, will thank you!
Urban ECO Nest’s Top 5 Eco Friendly and Natural Personal Care Products:
1. Tom’s of Maine Deodorant: Tom’s makes my favorite deodorant out there! They smell great and last a long time. Plus they are aluminum and paraben free, which means less chemicals soaking into one of the most sensitive areas of your body or washing down your shower.
2. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps: These fair trade soaps are made with a combination of all natural oils and will leave your skin feeling smooth, your waste water fresher, and can even be bought in bulk at many natural food grocers which will make your wallet and the Earth a little happier.
3. Nature’s Gate Organics Shampoo: These luxurious shampoos have the best scents and last forever! They are paraben free and Nature’s Gate does not test on animals which will make your animal friends cheerful as you suds up.
4. JASON Sea Fresh Toothpaste: My favorite Natural toothpaste by far. Leaves your mouth feeling fresh, and since it fluoride free your worries will wash down the drain instead of some nasty chemicals.
5. Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash: This tea tree infused face wash will leave your skin feeling invigorated! It is synthetic free and can be bought in bulk at some natural food stores.