When transitioning to the “Greener” side of the fence, the bathroom is an important step towards small scale sustainability. Here are a few ways to green up your bathroom and your health on the personal care product side:
Many personal care products out there contain some nasty chemicals, even some that claim to be natural! These chemicals can soak into the skin, the body’s largest organ, and then when we shower or wash they go down the drain into our public water supply. Hmmm…something about this does not seem good to me. The scary thing is we do not know the effects of these chemicals on the body yet. Anytime you look at the ingredient list on a personal care product and you can not pronounce half the words this is probably a product to avoid. Your body, health, and not to mention the planet, will thank you!
Urban ECO Nest’s Top 5 Eco Friendly and Natural Personal Care Products:
1. Tom’s of Maine Deodorant: Tom’s makes my favorite deodorant out there! They smell great and last a long time. Plus they are aluminum and paraben free, which means less chemicals soaking into one of the most sensitive areas of your body or washing down your shower.
2. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps: These fair trade soaps are made with a combination of all natural oils and will leave your skin feeling smooth, your waste water fresher, and can even be bought in bulk at many natural food grocers which will make your wallet and the Earth a little happier.
3. Nature’s Gate Organics Shampoo: These luxurious shampoos have the best scents and last forever! They are paraben free and Nature’s Gate does not test on animals which will make your animal friends cheerful as you suds up.
4. JASON Sea Fresh Toothpaste: My favorite Natural toothpaste by far. Leaves your mouth feeling fresh, and since it fluoride free your worries will wash down the drain instead of some nasty chemicals.
5. Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash: This tea tree infused face wash will leave your skin feeling invigorated! It is synthetic free and can be bought in bulk at some natural food stores.